Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic Water Purifier- Choose The Best
Build quality matters a lot when it comes to the purchasing of the water purifier. It is really important for the users to understand the difference between stainless steel vs ABS plastic, as it is the most popular topic of discussion these days.
Besides, the storage capacity also plays an important role in making the decision. The manufacturing of the storage tank plays an equally important role in making the decision. Usually, the water purifiers emphasize food-grade ABS plastic tanks. However, stainless steel tanks have successfully made their place within the top brands like LG, Kent, AO Smith, etc.
Additionally, there is this gravity water purifier that is available with stainless steel bodies and tanks made of ABS plastic. So the question that arises is, which of the two is a better option.
Let us quickly compare the qualities of stainless steel and ABS food-grade plastic. Moreover, understand the pros and cons to determine the fine option.
Let us quickly compare the Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic water purifier.
ABS Food Grade Plastic
ABS indicates Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. It is an obscure thermoplastic material that has universal industrial uses. Moreover, it is a tough and highly durable finishing product in its quality. Also, can resist physical forces and chemical corrosion.
Let us now talk about the advantages of ABS food-grade plastic.
Advantages of ABS food-grade plastic.
- ABS plastic can easily accept colors. Moreover, giving the finished product a glossy feel and appearance.
- ABS Plastic can be fashioned into several shapes.
- It is highly durable and tough In nature.
- ABS Plastic is known for its anti-corrosion property. That is, it doesn’t get chemically corrode.
- It is absolute for collecting or storing liquids, particularly water.
- The plastic does not really react with any acid or food materials. Consequently, it is considered a perfect material for containers.
- The containers or vessels made out of ABS food-grade plastic are manageable and easy to clean.
- ABS food-grade plastic containers or tanks are light in weight and thereby making them easy to carry.
- Moreover, the cost of production is not very high.
Disadvantages of ABS food-grade plastic.
While we discuss the advantages of ABS food-grade plastic. It is equally important for us to discuss the disadvantages as well.
- The vague understanding is that styrene monomer can drain from ABS plastic into food and water. You might know that the styrene monomer is a well-known carcinogen. Nevertheless, the measure of styrene monomer in ABS food-grade plastic is extremely below the standards specified by FDA.
- Secondly, ABS plastic needs to be protected from UV rays and susceptibility to severe weather conditions. This condition thereby restricts the positioning of the Ro in your house, as you can not place it near to the sunlight.
- Thirdly, these tanks necessitate frequent cleaning as compared to the stainless steel tanks.
Lets us now discuss the properties of ABS food-grade plastic.
Properties Of ABS Plastic
|Technical Name||Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)|
|Glass Transition||105°C (221°F)*|
|Typical injection Molding Temperature||204-238° C (400-460°F)*|
|Heat Deflection Temperature (HDT}||98°C (208°F) at 0.46 MPa (66 PSI)**|
|UL RTI||60° C (140°F)***|
|Tensile Strength||46 MPa (6600 PSI)***|
|Flexural Strength||74 MPa (10800 PSI)***|
|Shrink Rate||0.5-0.7% (.005-.007 in/in)***|
Alternatives To ABS Food-Grade Plastic
Stainless steel is the most reliable alternative to food-grade ABS Plastic. Down below are fascinating advantages of adopting stainless containers/bodies in water purifiers, instead of food-grade ABS plastic.
Advantages Of Stainless Steel Water Purifiers
- Stainless steel lasts much longer when compared to ABS food-grade plastic. Moreover, pure stainless steel does not really fall for rusting. Consequently an ideal type for storing liquid.
- It does not ask for a liner. Besides, it’s a nontoxic material that will not affect the storage type.
- Even if the container gets damaged or maligned, it does not leach any chemicals into the liquid (water). Thereby, it is a safe option.
- Stainless steel tanks are convenient and easy to clean. As they require only soap and water for cleaning. Whereas, you need to be a little precise while cleaning the plastic. They may create abrasions.
- Steel tanks are less responsive to bacterial infections of mold infections. As a result, the water remains fresh and pure for a long time.
Disadvantages Of Stainless Steel Water Purifiers
Here are some disadvantages of Stainless Steel Water Purifiers.
- The stainless steel water purifiers are analogously expensive to ABS plastic water purifiers.
- Don’t fall for the glossy appearance, as the surface is prone to attract fingerprints and can easily pull the smudge and dust.
- The stainless steel is heavier while compared to food-grade plastic which is light in weight.
- Though stainless steel tanks claim to demand less cleaning than ABS food-grade plastic tanks, it is desirable to clarify them often, as stagnant water can develop a muddy layer on the inner surface of the tank.
Realated: How To Clean RO Water Purifier Filter
Which Is The Better Option When Purchasing Water Purifiers?
Both stainless steel water purifiers and ABS food-grade plastic water purifiers are wonderful products. However, if you are concerned with the pricing, you can opt for an ADS plastic body.
However, if budget is not the limitation, the stainless steel water purifier is a more reliable choice. Also, the choice depends on individual users.
You May Also Like:
- Ways You Can Save And ReUse Waste Water From Your RO Water filter
- What Is TDS Meter?
- Best Water Softener
- Stainless Steel vs ABS Plastic Water Purifier
- How To Clean RO Water Purifier Filter
- What are Pros and cons of UV(Ultraviolet) Water Purifier
- What Are The Types Of Water